The Duffer brothers—the creators of Stranger Things Season 4—have launched Netflix Shingle Upside Down Pictures. With this, they have announced numerous new projects they’ll be taking on, including a live adaptation of Death Note.
Earlier today, on July 6, 2022, Deadline broke the news regarding the Duffer brothers’ new company and which projects they plan to take on. This is following the fact that Stranger Things Season 4 has topped Netflix’s most popular English TV list with 1.15 billion hours viewed in the first 28 days. The list of Upside Down’s upcoming projects includes:
- A new live action series adaptation of Death Note
- An original series from creators Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews (Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance)
- A series adaptation of Stephen King and Peter Straub‘s 1984 novel, The Talisman
- A new stage play set within the world and mythology of Stranger Things
- The live-action Stranger Things spin-off series for Netflix
You might be wondering why, of all media the Duffer brothers could have chosen, they landed on Death Note. Death Note has been adapted to live-action numerous times previously, and it has not seen massive success. However, the Duffer brothers explain that they’re aiming to create the type of stories that inspired them while growing up. They want to share “stories that take place at that beautiful crossroads where the ordinary meets the extraordinary, where big spectacle co-exists with intimate character work, where heart wins out over cynicism.”
If you’re familiar with the plot of Death Note, then you can easily see how the show would fit right in with the Duffer brothers’ goals. Considering the massive success of Stranger Things season 4, perhaps this new live adaptation of Death Note will be the greatest one yet.