There is a handful of incredible Crimson and Obsidian items in Terraria that you can craft for yourself. To do this, you’ll also need to collect Tissue Samples. Here’s how you can get Tissue Samples in Terraria.
Table Of Contents
How to Get Tissue Samples in Terraria
The only way to get Tissue Samples in Terraria is to engage with the Crimson boss Brain of Cthulhu. The Tissue Samples are dropped by the Creepers that spawn alongside this boss and they’re also found inside the Treasure Bag that drops once the boss is defeated. A Creeper will drop about 2 to 5 Tissue Samples while a Treasure Bag will contain about 10 to 19 of them.
How to Defeat Brain of Cthulhu
Now that you know where to get Tissue Samples, you must now figure out how to defeat the boss and its minions which drop them.
First things first, you’ll need to manually summon the Brain of Cthulhu in order to fight it. To summon the boss, simply destroy 3 Crimson Hearts which are scattered in a Crimson area. Another way of summoning the boss is by using the Bloody Spine while within the Crimson.
To craft the Bloody Spine, you’ll need 30 Vicious Powders and 15 Vertebra. You can create 5 Viscious Powders by using a Viscious Mushroom on a Placed Bottle or Alchemy Table. Vertebrae are dropped by monsters in the Crimson world.
Once you have the ingredients for the Bloody Spine, craft it on a Demon Altar or Crimson Altar. You can easily find these altars in the Crimson.
Before summoning and fighting the Brain of Cthulhu, make sure that you’re well-equipped first. It’s better to create a multi-platform arena before summoning the boss so you can have a place where you can easily move around during the fight. An arena with about 4 to 5 platforms you can jump and move around from should be enough.
It’s also recommended you carry grenades with you during the fight to breeze through its first phase faster. Another recommendation is that you wield a ranged weapon for the second phase, like a Gun or a Shotgun. Otherwise, you can also use melee weapons that knock back enemies such as Spears or the Trident.
Once the boss is summoned, you won’t be able to directly damage it until you get rid of the Creepers around it. Wait for the Creepers to clump around one another and throw grenades at them so you can eliminate several at once. Be careful during this phase, though, as the Creepers can move towards you at a rapid pace. Once they get too close, hit them with your melee weapon. Eliminate all the Creepers slowly but surely to move on to the second phase.
During the second phase, you’re dealing damage to the Brain itself. This enemy will constantly teleport around you, so be careful not to get too close. Try to damage the boss from afar with a Gun or use your Spear or Trident when it’s close. Just keep at this strategy and the boss’ health should drop to zero in no time.
Once all the Creepers and the Brain of Cthulhu are defeated, you should have enough Tissue Samples to start crafting new items.
Items You Can Craft with Tissue Samples
These are the items that you can craft with Tissue Samples, along with the other ingredients and the crafting station needed to make them.
- Void Bag – 30 Bones, 15 Jungle Spores, and 30 Tissue Samples on a Demon or Crimson Altar
- Void Vault- 15 Bones, 8 Jungle Spores, and 15 Tissue Samples on a Demon or Crimson Altar
- Obsidian Longcat – 15 Silks, 20 Obsidians, and 10 Tissue Samples on a Hellforge
- Obsidian Outlaw Hat – 10 Silks, 20 Obsidians, and 5 Tissue Samples on a Hellforge
- Obsidian Pants – 10 Silks, 20 Obsidians, and 5 Tissue Samples on a Hellforge
- Crimson Greaves – 20 Crimtane Bars and 15 Tissue Samples on an Iron Anvil or Lead Anvil
- Crimson Helmet – 15 Crimtane Bars and 10 Tissue Samples on an Iron Anvil or Lead Anvil
- Crimson Scalemail – 25 Crimtane Bars and 20 Tissue Samples on an Iron Anvil or Lead Anvil
- Deathbringer Pickaxe – 12 Crimtane Bars and 16 Tissue Samples on an Iron Anvil or Lead Anvil
- Flesh Grinder – 10 Crimtane Bars and 5 Tissue Samples on an Iron Anvil or Lead Anvil
- The Meatball – 10 Crimtane Bars and 5 Tissue Samples on an Iron Anvil or Lead Anvil
The Deathbringer Pickaxe, in particular, is going to be very useful to you later on as you mine more unique types of blocks. The Obsidian and Crimson armor sets are also quite extraordinary. That said, be sure to take the time to collect Tissue Samples so you can craft every item listed above.