Tenacity is an in-game stat in League of Legends designed to counter hard forms of crowd control (CC). If you’re going against a team full of painful stuns and CC, you’ll need to know how Tenacity works and ways to increase it.
Table Of Contents
What Is Tenacity?
Tenacity is an in-game stat that helps reduce the duration of CC abilities. In essence, the higher your Tenacity stat, the lower your stun duration will be. Conversely, if you have little to no Tenacity, crowd control will last the intended length. These crucial few seconds can be the difference between dying or living to see another teamfight.
Some crowd controls can’t be lowered by Tenacity, like Airborne, Drowsy, Nearsight, Stasis, and Suppression.
How Tenacity Works
Tenacity is calculated using percentages obtained from base champion stats, abilities, items, runes, and even summoner spells. Once you have high percentages of Tenacity, you can reduce a lot of the crowd control thrown your way.
As an example, if you’re playing against a Lux and she hits you with her Q (Lighting Binding) at maximum rank—and you haven’t built any Tenacity items—the Lux Q will last the full duration of two seconds.
However, if you have the Mercury’s Treads boots paired with the rune Legend: Tenacity at maximum stacks, your Tenacity should be at least 51% effective at reducing crowd control duration. That same Lux Q would then only last around one second instead of the full two seconds. While this difference is small, it can be a game-changer in the laning phase and late game when tactical CC and careful picks matter.
How to Increase Tenacity
There are only a few ways of increasing Tenacity—all are listed below accordingly.
- Garen’s Courage – When active, Garen steels his courage and reduces his incoming damage. He also gains a small shield and 60% Tenacity for 0.75 seconds.
- Milio’s Breath of Life – Milio cleanses nearby allies of disabling CC effects, restoring their Health and granting 65% Tenacity for three seconds.
- Elixir of Iron – Grants the user 300 bonus Health, 25% Tenacity, and 15% increased size for 180 seconds.
- Iceborn Gauntlet – Has the Mythic passive, which empowers the holder with 50 bonus Health, 5% Tenacity, and Slow Resistance.
- Mercury’s Treads – Grants the holder +25 Magic Resistance, +24 Movement Speed, and 30% Tenacity.
- Silvermere Dawn – Has the Quicksilver active ability, which removes all crowd control debuffs (except Airborne) and grants the holder 50% Tenacity, 50% Slow Resistance, and ghosting for three seconds.
- Sterak’s Gage – Has a unique Lifeline ability that grants a shield equal to 80% of bonus Health, a 25% increased size, and 30% Tenacity if your Health falls below 30%.
- Legend: Tenacity – Gain 5% (1.5% per Legend stack) of Tenacity, up to 20% maximum stacks.
- Unflinching – Gain 5-25% (based on missing Health) Slow Resistance and Tenacity.
- Cleanse – A self-targeted summoner spell. It cleanses all disables (excluding Airborne, Nearsight, and Suppression) and summoner spells debuffs on your champion. It also grants 65% Tenacity for three seconds.
If you have an accidental tendency to walk into enemy stuns and crowd control abilities (we’ve all been there), then Tenacity is definitely a stat you should consider building in your next League of Legends games.